Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Sufiana kalaam...kamaal hai!!

I love the way something or the other keeps happening to remind me why I missed this city so....despite all the fun in a Delhi or a Mumbai....especially a Mumbai.

Among many things, unlimited access to filter kaapi is of course a given. The other is Music with a capital 'M' :)...and a crowd that relishes it in style.

Caught up with the MMA's Israel in Egypt at the start of this month. A choir backed by a symphony orchestra.....and the violins made me weep for all the right reasons.

And today was the kickoff of the Hindu November Fest - a five day music program featuring Indian and international artistes of various genres. Day one featured Abida Parveen, known to most as the foremost Sufi artiste of today...... and man oh man, she is known for a reason alright.

Yours truly is a self-proclaimed ignoramus on most things musical, but I know good music when I hear it. Even if I don't understand a word of what's being sung....and today Abida Parveen won over one more fan :) Where did those 2 odd hours go??? Amazing voice, power, richness and style........... and kudos to the Chennai rasikas who proved beyond a doubt that they are among the most receptive (and appreciative) audiences in the country when it comes to the arts.

Yes, an occasional jingoistic jiggle on my part is more than acceptable...especially since I'm not asking Ms. Parveen to sing in Tamil!! (Like a certain ageing politician would've if he were in this part of the country)

Lots more coming up in the next few weeks folks...shall post as and when I can. I love this season and this city!!

3 comments:

Philip said...

Music season startedaa?

Indian Madder said...

@Philip

Aammaanda, startedu.... how's it gng with you?

Philip said...

People here don't understand filter kaapi. Or meen pollichathu. Otherwise fine.