Sunday, December 14, 2008

The Fellowship of the Ring(less)

Ohmigod.

I can’t believe I actually did this. On my last trip home , I finally gave in to my parents’ subtle demands. Oh well, ‘subtle’ is soooo 2007……. Now it’s more like the Exorcist theme score.

I…errr…. Ahem…. I…… damn, I can’t say this!!!

Oh then TYPE it out lady.

I…. cough, cough….. actually helped them create a profile for me on a matrimonial site. :( :( I solemnly swear that I don’t drink or do drugs.

Stop sniggering willya???

Btw, am pretty sure they’ve already explored multiple alternatives to foist their darling one and only onto some unwitting nalla payyan out there. Note: Do they exist???My suspicions hit an all time high when I saw a string of mails from the Malayala Manorama ID in Dad’s mailbox. I just happened to stop by his desk to ask something, and there was this sudden Alt + Tab rhythm that got started. For the uninitiated, the Malayala Manorama is not just a Mallu newspaper, it’s also the best friend of Mallu parents who don’t know what to do next with their twenty somethings.

I did have my doubts about the wisdom of it alright. Especially since

A) I’m in no particular hurry to tie the knot.
B) My parents’ and my idea of a nice guy vs okay-okay guy tend to clash occasionally
C) Have to keep reminding them that their dream son-in-law is right up there with Santa Claus, dragons and fairies….. a creature of fantasy.
D) And I have to keep reminding myself that all the guys I’ve dreamed of are unattainable public figures, who are married or committed to disgustingly gorgeous women…or just don’t exist. Sigh.
E) As a follow on to (D), the Enchantress reminds me it could be worse. The dream man might just turn out to be gay. Aiyyayyoooo…and good men are a rarity already.
F) Help me God, what if this whole website thingie actually works???? :-S

But on careful consideration it seemed only fair to help them out. After all, parents are bound to need help when they have a gorgeous, amazingly talented and supremely intelligent daughter on their hands.

No, I don’t have a sister.

Kinda dense aren’t you? I was talking about myself.

But here’s a little confession….. Browsing through some of the profiles made me think I shoulda started this eons ago…… I had no clue there was SO much entertainment on the net for free!!!! ;-D

Tomes have been written about the kinds of matrimonial ads that get published…. Some noteworthy blog posts have been dedicated to them too. But honestly, some of these profiles make you laugh out loud, or think really hard.

Among the giggle-worthy, here are some gems I found :

1. “Looking for a partner….. blah blah blah….. who also likes to cook and rear children.”
Hellooooo?!?!?! :-O Somebody pleeeeease get him a copy of Eats, shoots and leaves.

2. “She should be a candle light for me in my hours (sic) of darkness..”
Buddy, what you need is either an agony aunt or an inverter. Or a plain bulb. And you talk like you expect a LOT of darkness ahead……. NOT the best attention grabber for a future mate. Ladies, I see the potential for a lot of skeletons in this closet.

3. “I’m a coooooooool guy!!!”
I swear that’s exactly what was written. And ALL that was written. Stay far, far away from this one, Zahra-girl. This is the type your friends warned you about on Orkut.

4. “I’m a deeply religious, pious and spiritual person.”
Not that there’s anything wrong with that statement….. Faith matters to me too. But the overall tone of this particular profile left me kinda confused….. I didn’t know whether to continue reading, cross myself or light a candle. Methinks we’ve got the next Vatican canonization here.

5. “Myself a very handsome, caring, sensitive, dynamic personality….”
I just cannot compete with such perfection. You forgot to add ‘unshakeable self-esteem’ to your virtues buddy. Btw, about your profile pic….. Shades that cover 85% of your face don’t help. Especially since the uncovered 15% is not exactly standalone material….. nothing personal, just an objective observation.

My folks discreetly sugest that a profile pic will be in orer.

Mental sticky note: Upload a pic of Lolakutty.... we're talking wholesome Mallu gorge-yess-ness here.

:P


Hmmm…. One of the inescapable phases of quarter-life I guess….. at least the family’s getting some free entertainment.

Quite a few of my fellow victims in the Fellowship of the Ring(less) are in similar predicaments. My best friend (who’s a Bong) wishes that Bong guys were known for physique and looks too, not just academic credentials. Coz all her ‘prospects’ to date have been exceptionally geeky-looking Bong-men with multiple Ivy League qualifications. Anybody who can change that trend…..the geeky one….please let me know….. FYI, you’ll have to be single and Bong AND really tall (coz she is) AAANNNDDD intelligent ('coz she is, VERY) to floor this babe. There. That’s my good karma for the week.

Btw neither of us are six-pack fans, so we’re not very choosy that way. But yeah, we don’t dig family packs either.

On a serious note, it’s kinda disturbing that a LOT of people mention ‘fair’ as a criterion before education or personality or anything else. What’s with this fairness fixation anyway??? Especially when the same guys might be drooling over the not-exactly-fair Bipasha Basu. I know this horse’s been bludgeoned to death, but I just had to give my two cents’ worth of kicks.

Oh and did I tell you, I got a response to my profile the very next day ;-P

The mail started like this.....

“I came across your profile and found it SOOO interesting, I hope you don’t mind (sic)…”

There were a coupla smileys too, for my benefit. Oh yes I mind. Terribly. That profile was meant to be uninteresting and solely for my private edification.

Incidentally this guy has apparently not bothered to use a community/region/language filter while searching. Guess chronic spammers have to do their thing whenever, wherever.Needless to say, that guy’s email got the ‘Delete’ treatment.

Appaaa...AmMAAAAAAAA.... I told you this wasn’t a good idea.

7 comments:

Philip said...

Hehe...so many interesting guys around, you should be thrilled by this thing. But you sound almost disappointed!

All the best in your (parents') hunt for a guy :)

Dhanya said...

Ha ha I can understand ;)
This is the only time I regret not having found anyone for myself :D

Sritanu said...

snigger snigger snigger :P

Jokes apart i do really hope
You meet a guy as pious as the pope
With oodles and oodles of confidence & charm
May he be as brave as Quick Gun Murugan !

Indian Madder said...

@Philip

Interesting 'Wow' as opposed to interesting 'Weird' :P

Tut, tut... I thought somebody was on my side.... wishes (choke!) duly passed on to Mater and Pater.

@Dhanya

Hey there:)...nice to have you back.
I so completely agree.... join the club. Misery loves company!

@Sritanu

For the first line I do hereby "speeett on you". Err... do you think a pope-alike n Zahra are a good idea??? Appreciate the good wishes though!! :-D

Anonymous said...

now I know why u hopped southwards!;) One ring does change a lot of things in ur life, ahem!!!

ur bored to death buddy...sankol!!!

mathew said...

LOL!! superb post...what to do with our parents..our matrimony sites give the best humour material ever!! ;-P

Indian Madder said...

@Mathew

I have a feeling lotsa eligible bachelors/bachelorettes would need therapy if they see what their folks have put up on matrimonial sites..;-D

Dunno if you can blame parents though.... I guess 'jhelo'fying offspring for a coupla decades could push ppl to extremes!!