Sunday, February 24, 2008

I do's, I will do's.... and all that jazz

Whooeeeee....second post in a day. Pro'lly beginner's enthu. Am not complaining though.
A very close friend of mine had called up on my birthday recently. Yes, thank you, I had a birthday not too long ago. Older certainly, but no signs whatsoever of getting wiser. If this goes on, I'll find myself being made the subject matter of a thesis on diminishing mental age. A mental age that shows every sign of slipping into the negative at that.

Whoops...am wandering again. Where was I...oh yeah, close friend.
A month's gossip faithfully traded. Birthday wishes given and graciously accepted. Then she tells me, "Guess what, we're finally getting engaged." I could almost see that smile of her's whenever she used that particular 'we'. The 'we' in question refers to close friend + her BF of more than a year (like you couldn't guess!). Given that the BF is also a good pal, my cup truly did run over. Certainly a hitching I had waited and prayed for. Here's wishing the awesome twosome all the happiness they could possibly desire and more.

Found myself thinking quite a bit after we hung up. Have seriously lost count of the weddings scheduled to happen this year in buddy circles. And I'm already a serious contender for the 'Last Gal Standing' award. Not that I mind. Marrying just 'coz I'm expected to do it never struck me as a particularly brainy thing to do. Can't even dream of finding takers for that opinion in senior circles of the family though. Good mallu gals aren't supposed to think on such controversial lines.
What does make me wonder is how I've never come across a single guy I could consider as potential commitment material. Especially with folks marrying/committing/falling in love hook, line and sinker all around. Maybe I've already met him and we don't realise it yet. Or, he suspects a possibility while I don't (yet). And is therefore staying clear of me to save his life :P (likely). Or perhaps he was already an ex-member of the singles club when I met him (verrrryy likely). If there's anything that the past three years have reinforced, it's that quote on good things being
1. Illegal
2. Fattening
3. Committed to someone else.

Nothing like a dose of option (3) of the above to induce an overwhelming wave of sisterly affection (Blech). And an even more overpowering "@#%$#% Dammit!!!" . (Thank you ladies... the nods are reassuring.)
Lick your wounds (and bandage your pride) in private. And abandon all attempts thereafter. Thou shalt not covet what belongs to thy neighbour. The Lord sure did his research thoroughly before dishing out those ten deadly guidelines on an unsuspecting flock. Calvin had it all figured out. I MUST enhance my swear vocabulary to deal with life's disappointments.

Quite a lot for a first post. Seems pretty puerile now that I've read through it, but am posting it all the same. Have promised myself not to fall prey to searching for a 'with it' theme ar trimming my ramblings to suit general expectations from a blog. If you've made it through the scrambled mush above to reach this line, then thanks a ton for your patience :). Would appreciate your comments if any. And would sincerely be hoping that the writing improves enough to have you visit this page regularly.

Love, peace and two-day weekends for all.

Listening to: Where are you going - Dave Matthews Band

2 comments:

Dionysus said...

Oye...Whats with the name Zahra? I first thought some exotic Iranian had suddenly checked in...:P

Your blog's a lot more out there than you are...which is a very welcome development. Good luck with keeping the enthu, and welcome to the club.

Indian Madder said...

Thanks dude. And for your sake am hoping some exotic Arab babe actually checks in :)