Sunday, May 25, 2008

Of everything and nothing in particular

After nearly four weeks of anticipation, I've finally made the transition to a cast(e)less Indian. Nope, no OBC type controversies here.... the cast on my foot's come off and I can finally walk without that ducky-waddle I've been using for a month now.How, what, when and where was the usual barrage of questions when I hopped into office that day and propped up my foot on the nearest chair. Thanks to a colleague's brainwave, a sheet of paper with Q's and A's taped to the armrest saved me a lot of trouble. This is what was written:

Q: What happened?
A: Twisted my foot

Q: Where?
A: Near the office gate

Q: Does it hurt?
A: U bet :((

Q: Saw a doctor?
A: Not yet.

The answers to the last two should've been kinda apparent after seeing a purple, melon sized foot at one end and my facial contortions at the other.... but never mind. Yep, it IS a rather drastic way of applying for a month's leave, but I ain't complaining. The fall was a genuine one, irrespective of the insane and totally unbloggable explanations proffered by my family. Don't even ask what their theories are.

The interesting part came when the doctor was about to wheel me into the X-ray room. I distinctly saw my father mouth "Brain scan also" to the doc. I understand his concern. It would prove once and for all that I have (or dont have) a human brain. In case I have one, it would lay to rest the family rumour of how a distant uncle patted my four-year-old head and heard a distant, hollow echo. Doesn't help that the distant uncle was also a ghatam enthusiast. Two, Dad's job would be a lot easier when he makes a trip to the great Mallu marriage mart (a.k.a. Manorama classifieds) in a fit of paternal duty. And if it turns out that I don't have a brain after all...well.... one more skeleton in the family closet I guess.

Btw, the jury's still out on this one, coz doc finally convinced him that one x-ray of the foot would do. But yes, it's rather mortifying when the only man in my life tries to imply that my brains are in my feet, or that I walk on my head or whatever. Don't ask me how it works. I'm the only non-Biology grad in the family.

Had resigned myself to a month of endless boredom and ennui, with the only highlights being my folks and home-cooked food. But compulsorily putting your feet up and cooling your heels can be a very pleasant change. Trust me on this one :) Have got around to

1. SLEEEEEEEPPPPPINGGGG!!!! (For the first week atleast! ;-D)
2. Reading novels of every kind
3. Sketching, painting and messing around with pastels
4. Watching the clouds drift by (literally!)
5. Endless perched-on-the-kitchen-ledge conversations with Amma, which I so enjoy :)
6. And many, many more
7. And all of this whenever I want, without having to bother about getting back to work or turning in early for another long day at work.

After some introspection and a quick analysis, I have reached the conclusion that the only way to sustain this lifestyle infinitely (minus the cast) would be to become Wife No.3 or No.4 or,heck, even No.5 to some old, debilitated, rich-as-crassus Arab sheikh who'll hopefully kick the bucket soon and leave a few billions to me. Dollars please. And if he doesn't oblige? To quote a pal of mine... "Simple. I'll help him kick the bucket!"

>:-)

As is the case with the most of my introspections and analyses, this one too found its way into that mental wastebasket deep in the recesses of my mind.

Sigh

Wake up and smell the dosai burning, dearie.

The most significant discovery of the last week has been that Nikhil IS a living, breathing, flesh and blood being. Notice that I do not use the word 'human'. Oops. A retaliatory blog post casts its ominous shadow on the horizon. Wisecracks aside, it was good to finally meet in person, after spending 3 years in the belief that the other person existed! We were supposed to have been batchmates but fate and my b-school decreed otherwise. To all you people out there, if you get a 'frand-sheep' request or a LinkedIn invite from this guy, take it from me.....He exists. Of that much I'm sure ;)

My favourite couple a.k.a. yennudaya Appaavum Ammaavum celebrated 26 years of married life yesterday...here's wishing them many many happy returns and much happiness ahead. The 'happiness and peace of mind' quotient is kinda dicey though, what with yourstruly for their only offspring (:D)

Am sure they've had plenty of revelatory moments in past years.....like the one where Calvin's mom gets depressed when he walks by saying, "Hi, it's me!! Your greatest achievement!" Shall put up that cartoon as soon as I dig it out from my comp.


26 years...pretty neat considering that 90% of the relationships I've seen among peers have crashed before the one-year mark.

It's nearly 3 months since I started blogging...frankly, have blogged much more than I expected to. Thanks a ton to all of you out there who've responded with your comments and feedback. It really made my day (and week, and month!) to see a comment on a post of mine. Don't mind admitting that I actually wait for them (Hint! Hintttttt!) :-)

I know. I have all the subtleness of a starving rhino.Another regrettable flaw in an already flaw-ridden being. Double sigh

Bas. Bahut ho gaya. This is enough and more bakwaas for one post. Am off to revive myself.

Viva la filter kaapi!!

No comments: